Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Testimony Tuesday: Speck & Log-Marriage Style

Okay so let me apologize for the lack of blog posts and cute kid pictures. I kind of had to take a little break and catch up around the house and spend some family time just relaxing and being a family. Some times you just need that, you know??

Matthew 7:3 "And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own?" How can you think of saying to your friend, 'Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye?"

I had heard this verse before...and it has spoke to me and convicted me before today. But today we were talking about marriage...and using this verse in regards to your spouse. (I.e. Why worry about a speck in your husband's eye, Sara, when you have a log in your own eye??) Oiy! Sometimes it is a love/hate relationship with the sting of conviction!!! Ha. Funny. But true.

The truth is lately we have been crazy busy. We haven't stayed on schedule and by the time we get the kids to bed (late!)-we have been so tired that we either fall asleep right away or just lay and zone out watching tv until we are ready to fall asleep. The house was becoming a place of chaos because we didn't have the energy to clean anything that wasn't necessary and we were pretty much surviving on just doing what HAD to be done. If it could be procrastinated...it was. When the house gets chaotic, my mood gets grumpy. Also when the house gets chaotic, the kids become more challenging (i.e. getting into everything that is out but that they are not supposed to be into.) (Hang with me-there is a point. I am not just confessing here. (c:)

Matt and I had not really gotten to spend any quality time together either. I started to get irritated with him. Why wasn't he helping around the house? Why wasn't he making quality time a priority? Why was he? Why was he? Why was he???

Saturday we sat down to do a chapter together in Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy ...and I was getting my loooonnnng overdue quality time that I was so excited about(!!!) and I....

FELL ASLEEP while Matt was reading!!!

That is when I realized that HE was NEVER the problem. It had been ME the whole time. I had packed our schedule so full that we were not being left with any time or energy. Neither one of us. I had not been cleaning either. I couldn't even stay awake for the quality time I wanted so desperately. Had I just looked at the log in my own eye first and removed it...I would have saved myself a lot of misplaced frustration!!



1 comment:

Courtney said...

You always have the perfect posts when I need them. Don't have the husband but I have been crazy busy and things have been crumbling around me. After reading this I need to take a deep breath and focus on what is important and get my life together. Thank you, you are always such a blessing to me.