Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lilly Room-Before & After

Okay so on the left is the before and on the right is the after.  I took the fabric part in the middle out and then sanded the frame and painted it white. 
The back just unscrewed and the middle part just came out so I was able to just recover the fabric part with a new fabric and pop it back in! 

 I saw this idea on here on Pinterest.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought this 11x14 frame.  Acutally I bought 4 of them.  I had planned on going to a thrift store to find cheap ones since I was going to paint them anyway...but I just didn't have time!  These worked perfect.  I repainted the frame and covered the glass with burlap and hot glue.  Then I put them together and used my measuring tape so I could hot glue the clips (which I got in the Wal-Mart office supply section...a pack of 4 was $1.88) in the middle.  Out of all the things I did for the room--this was the one that Matt was most impressed by and I do love seeing her art hanging in her room.  I plan on doing these for Reid's room too!  Oh, and one tip I have for this is to get the right type of paint.  I was so concerned with getting the right color purple that I didn't realize it was glass paint so I had to do like 20 coats of paint!  Oops! 
 The vanity before and after!  All I did was sand and paint it!  I bought the paint that has the primer in it and HIGHLY recommend this!  I will tell you about my primer fiasco when I get to the bookshelf. 

 Handprint tutus.  I got this idea off of...whereelse...Pinterest.  (I can NOT find the original source.)The photos are crooked-not the actual canvases.  We had fun making these and I love that those are her sweet little handprints.  Lilly is very proud of these too! 
 The bookshelf.  I decided to repaint Lilly's bookshelf and since I was going from dark to white I bought a primer.  At this point I was painting everything with a brush and the primer was too thick to apply evenly with a brush.  At some point I was talking to my sister-in-law about it and she said that I should be using a roller so I went out and bought one but it was too late--it already had brush marks and was uneven.  I sanded the parts that mattered (I just didn't have it in me to start completely over!)  I will say the genious of the little roller made life SO MUCH EASIER!  So if you are painting--buy a little roller!
 My mom came in town just as I had finished all of my little projects and wanted to do a craft day.  The LAST thing I wanted to do that day was do anything else crafty...but I love my mom so I agreeed to go with it.  I am glad I did because my sister, my mom, and I made this cross.  We just bought the plain wooden stackable crosses at Hobby Lobby.  We painted them (there were two) and then added a scrapbook paper cross to the top so it looks like there is a third cross.  We hot glued it all together and added some accessories and viola! 
And I can't leave out my sister-in-law Becca who made the tutu bedskirt and the tutu to attach to the bottom of the curtains! My sister redid Lilly's nursery letters to match her big girl room too.  I am so thankful for such crafty and helpful family!!  (:  You can see the completed room and her reaction here!

1 comment:

Dreamin' Daisies said...

Okay, there are NO WORDS to describe how much I am lovin' that headboard! So beautiful! I know that sweet girl is enjoying all the fruits of your labor... you are a great mama!