Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Testimony Tuesday: Accepting God's Plan for My Day

Let's just be honest today.  We are close enough, right?  This month This week Let's just say Today has not gone as I had planned. 

For one thing, I didn't plan on Reid having hand, foot, and mouth and us being at home this week and missing our normal Tuesday activities.  I had planned to go to bible study this morning.  I had planned to run to the store and have lunch with a friend.  I had planned on Lilly going to dance this afternoon.  I had planned on Lilly getting to go have her nails done with a friend for her friend's birthday.  I had planned a lot of things and none of them are going to happen today. 

Then this morning Reid woke up early so I went in there and put him back to bed.  As I was walking out of his room Lilly had been woken up by the ruckus and was opening the door to her room.  I put her back in bed, too.  At that point I knew we were headed for one of THOSE days.  I decided to try and squeeze in my time with the Lord because it was doubtful that they would actually go back to sleep and I knew I was going to need it.  The day was already starting off earlier than planned. 

This whole morning didn't go "as planned" either.  I was really starting to get frustrated.  We are all a little stir-crazy and ready to be out of the house.  Reid is feeling well enough to play.  The kids were being loud and messy and needy...you know...being kids.  And I was just not in the mood for this day--I had not planned for this day.  Right before lunch I just prayed, "Lord I know my attitude is not right.  I have done my quiet time but I am just not feeling it right now.  I need you to help my attitude.  Please put me back on track."

Apparently sometimes all you need to do is ask because things started popping into my head that started to fix my attitude.  I remembered reading in my Jesus Calling book about not trying to plan everything for my day and being on the look out for what God has for my day.  And then it hit me--I was all frazzled because I was focused on the fact that the day was not going according to my plan that I hadn't even thought for a second that my day was going according to His plan!  THIS day is what God had planned for me. 

And when I started to think of that way I noticed some things that have happened THIS day that I hadn't planned.  For one, I have an extra day at home with both my children.  And though Reid is contagious--he really seems to feel pretty good and that is a blessing. Like a snow day without the snow!   I also have done ALL of our laundry.  And most of it is even put up too!  I have had time to get our Easter craft and activity all ready for tonight.  Both kids curled up in my lap and we all watched a Diego episode together.  The dishes are clean and put up (you know, not just hanging out in the dishwasher or on a towel drying next to the sink). 

And, if the day had gone the way I planned it, I totally would have missed...
Lilly's first playdate with her dolls.  Ha!!  The Lord has put little blessings in my day for me to see but I can't let the distraction of a messed up plan cloud my vision! 

I am just thinking-on-blog here but how much frustration comes from us being so focused on what we have planned and not realizing that God has planned something different for us??  And His plans are good (Jeremiah 29:11). 

I know some of you reading this are dealing with a plan God has for you that you would have never chosen.  Something far more serious than just a little stir-craziness and a sick child.  God's promises are still true.  If you need some of them to cling to--there is a list of scriptures for hard times here.  Also please know that I am praying for you right now and if you have a specific request or just need to talk you can email me at sarascott8704@yahoo.com

As for me and the rest of my day I am going to try my best to say..."This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)  Praying the same thing for you and your day! 

4 comments:

Leah said...

Thank you for this- I needed it today!

christy said...

Yep, I'm with Leah. Thank you for your heart, Sara!

Courtney said...

Thank you so much for his post. I need to remember this next time I am having a day that is just not going my way.

Brittany said...

Thanks, I have been having a hard week the past week and I needed to read this!