Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Testimony Tuesday

This past Sunday our pastor was preaching and teaching from Hebrews 6:13-20 and he summed it up at the end like this, "God will do what he wants to do, He will do what He has said He will do and He will ultimately bring GOOD from EVERYTHING."  I just think that is a great word and so encouraging no matter where you are in life-especially if you are in the middle of a "storm".  God is faithful.  His word and promises are true.  And He works it all together (even the bad situations) for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them (Romans 8:28).  Like I said in this post--if you are going through a trial know that God knows about it, there is a purpose for it, and He will ultimately bring good from it. 

The other thing I am going to talk about is that I mentioned in Lilly's room post about "wrapping my house in scripture"--I thought I would just explain that a little more here. How this idea came about is actually funny.  Reid was probably a month or two old and I was sitting on the couch feeding him.  Lilly came in and stole the remote switched it to some hokey evangelist and ran out of the room.  I was stuck on the couch watching this guy as he was trying to sell all kinds of products using the verse, "Tie them (them being scripture) to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." (Deuteronomy 6:8-9) to sell his products.  Anyway, I thought (and still think) the guy was a fraud...but it sparked the idea of having scripture all around the house.

 Now I know that this verse means to make your house all about the Lord--to use Him and His Word as your "filter" for your actions and to turn to Him and seek Him in all that you do. Furthermore, I know that if I were just to have scripture on the walls of my home but not in my heart that I would be missing the point of this passage all together.  But I am telling you, for me, it has been very helpful to remind me (especially in a moment when I am tempted) to stop and look to Him and what His word says.  So, without further adieu, here are some of the scriptures that I have around the house along with some examples of what seeing it reminds me of. 

 This is in our bedroom.  "What God has brought together let no man separate." Mark 10:9  I pray this for our marriage.  Matt is my partner.  We are in this together.  I will not treat Him like the enemy because he left His clothes on the ground (that is totally hypothetical...I am just giving an example)--we are on the same team.  Always. 
 "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15.  I pray this for our family.  It is not about me.  It is about Him.  I am not doing whatever it is for me or for someone else to notice.  I am doing it for Him.  I will set my standards by Him and not the things or people of this world.
 Lilly and Reid's doors are next to one another so half of this verse hangs over Lilly's room and half hangs over Reid's room. 
"Children are a gift from God, they are His reward."  Psalm 127:3  Let me tell you sometimes, in a frustrating moment, I need to be reminded of this!  Ha!  Don't misunderstand that I ALWAYS know that my children are a blessing and I love being their Mommy.  This being on their doors so I see it when I walk in really has reminded me to just take a break from housework and play with them.  It has also helped remind me to not try and rush them into bed but to take the time to rock with them and read that extra story and sing those songs and rub their backs before bedtime. 
I have some others around the house and I am not finished yet...I am still looking for the perfect one for above the front door.  I am thinking one that blesses those who enter??  Any suggestions??  I need some ideas!  Also, just in case anyone is interested to know, I got the signs for our bedroom and above the door from http://personalpizazz.blogspot.com/ --she is great and can do anything (we got our razorback door sign from her too).

Also, just to clarify, I do not think you have to have scripture on your walls to love the Lord or be a good Christian.  I was just sharing why we put it on our walls.  ( :

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I love them!
I will have to check her out- she did a great job! And Lillys Room is SOOOOO cute! The paintings are precious!

Lauren said...

I love that idea! We have some sculpture posted in our house but those signs andre really cute! And, we are human and tend to rush about and not give a lot of quality attention to our kids, those signs above the door remind you to do that! Good idea!